What you need to know:
- Hakushu is releasing a limited edition Spanish Oak 2021 NAS bottling via lottery.
- This bottle was matured in ex-Sherry Spanish Oak barrels to give “light and soft flavor unique to "Hakushu" is combined with the bitterness and sweet scent of cacao and the smooth finish.” Full tasting notes below!
- This will take place from September 27th (Monday) to October 25th (Monday) 23:59 Hrs, 2021, with 300 bottles being released to lucky winners, RRP is 11,000 Yen (or 100 USD and 73 GBP). Do note you must have a Japanese address to take part. Link to the lottery is down below!
- Past year’s releases of Sherry matured Hakushu have been very well-loved by fans so safe to say, this will not just be another collectible, it will also taste damn good.
We’ve heard a lot about Yamazaki the past couple of months, ranging from the mega hyped 55 year old, the equally hyped reformulated 25 year old, and also the limited edition Essence of Suntory “Barley”-themed releases, and who could forget the new 2021 NAS that went for as high as 27x RRP on the auction boards.
But believe it or not Suntory is not just Yamazaki. There is also the much beloved Hakushu, Suntory’s forest distillery. Well, this is Hakushu’s turn to shine, with the release of their own limited edition Hakushu Spanish Oak 2021 NAS.
Read about Hakushu Distillery, the distillery nestled in a forest covered in clouds, here.
Suntory tells us that this Hakushu bottling was aged in Spanish Oak barrels that previously held Sherry liquor and that we can expect a smooth single malt whisky with sweet and bittersweet notes owing to the Spanish Oak barrels.
Official Tasting Notes
Reddish Dark Amber
Cacao, Manuka Honey, Dark Chocolate
Sweet, Soft and Bittersweet
Smooth, Soothing Bitterness
Do note that this bottling is available as a lottery.
The details of the lottery are summarized down below:
- September 27th (Monday) to October 25th (Monday) 23:59 Hrs, 2021
- RRP: 11,000 Yen (approx. 100 USD or 73 GBP)
- Bottles Release Via Lottery: 300 Bottles
- *You must have a Japanese address to take part
If you would like to take part, link is down below:
You already know this is gonna be super hot. But let’s just shelve the “investability” aside because that is pretty much a given at this point. But we do know that Hakushu has released both Spanish Oak matured bottlings (all the back in 1993) and more recently Sherry Cask bottlings (2012, 2013, 2014) all of which were very well received taste-wise.
So if you have a valid Japan address, try your luck! Toss your name in the hat and you might just have yourself a neat bottle that we hope you’ll open and savour.
May the force be with you and as always, Kanpai!