Mars, The Lucky Cat Choco
The Lucky Cat is a series of blended whiskies created using the blending techniques of Mars Whisky, with a motif of unique cats.
The Lucky Cat series was launched six years ago in honor of the cat-loving president of Honbo Shuzo.
The Lucky Cat Choco, the sixth in the series, is based on the motif of Choco, a female cat with a curious and tomboyish personality, and is a blended whisky that is additionally matured (finished) in a port pipe, leaving a harmonious aroma of sweetness and savory, moderate tannins that tighten the whole, and a lingering aftertaste reminiscent of cocoa.
Successive generations of Lucky Cats
- Part 1: The Lucky Cat “Sun”, released on September 25, 2015, limited edition of 1,200 pieces, 4,400 yen (tax included)
- Part 2: The Lucky Cat “Ash 99”, released on August 25, 2016, limited edition of 4,300 pieces, 4,950 yen (tax included)
- Third: The Lucky Cat “Mint”, released on November 10, 2017, limited edition of 3,830 bottles, 4,400 yen (tax included)
- Part 4: The Lucky Cat “May” – Released on September 22, 2018 – Limited edition of 3,387 bottles – 4,730 yen (tax included)
- Part 5: The Lucky Cat “Hana” To be released on February 1, 2020 Limited edition of 3,000 units: 4,950 yen (tax included)
- The Lucky Cat “Choco” to be released on March 4, 2021 Limited edition of 6,700 units: 4,950 yen (tax included)
It is characterized by a deep richness with a full-bodied sweetness derived from port wine
This time, “The Lucky Cat Choco” is additionally aged in “port pipe barrels,” and is characterized by a harmonious aroma of sweetness and savory notes, and a lingering aftertaste reminiscent of cocoa.
“Port pipe barrels are empty barrels that have been used to make port wine, with a pipe size of 410-650 liters. Port wine barrels are used for whiskey storage. Using port wine barrels for storing whisky is said to give the whisky a blackcurrant-like aroma, sweetness, and a strong, viscous maturation.
|Fragrance||Sweetness of chocolate, savory aroma like cookies|
|Taste||Not much alcohol, smooth mouthfeel, and deep sweetness like dark chocolate and cocoa|
|Aftertaste||Sweet oak aroma and savory, rich sweetness|
|Barrel type||Port Pipe Finish|
|Number of Bottles||Limited 6,700|
|Suggested Retail Price||4,500yen (Excluding Tax)|
|Release Date||March 4, 2021|
This is a whisky with a sweetness that comes to the forefront, so it is easy to drink for those who have never been a big fan of whisky or who prefer sweet whisky. Even if you drink it straight, you will not feel the tingling alcohol sensation, and the aroma and taste reminiscent of savory cookies will be addictive. In a way, it is a dessert whisky. Those who prefer the maltiness and peatiness of scotch may find it lacking.
Speaking of Honbo Shuzo, Mars Shinshu Distillery is famous for its blended whisky “Iwai Tradition” and single malt “Komagatake”, but recently the distillery has been releasing whisky one after another, and this distillery has been creating high quality Japanese whisky such as “Tsunuki The First” and “Tsunuki Peated”.
Both Mars Shinshu Distillery and Mars Tsunuki Distillery offer distillery tours with some restrictions, so if you are interested, why not visit them?
(All Images Courtesy of JPWhisky.net)
For more awesome Japanese Whisky content, go visit:
Filling a bookshelf? We picked these for you.